If you’ve never made a galette--or aren’t really sure what it is--have we got something for you to try! A galette is a round pastry that is similar to a tart. Or “if a crusty cake and pie had a baby,” according to Bon Appétit. The recipe below includes both butter and cream cheese for extra goodness.
Galette Crust Recipe Ingredients:
1 ½ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
8 Tablespoon Casco Bay Creamery Butter, cold
2 ounces Casco Bay Creamery Cream Cheese, cold
¼-½ cup of ice water
Galette Crust Recipe Directions:
- Combine flour and salt in a food processor or medium bowl.
- Pulse/cut in Casco Bay Creamery Butter until it is mostly in small chunks.
- Pulse/cut in Casco Bay Creamery Cream Cheese until butter and cream cheese mixture is coarse with some pea size pieces.
- Pulse/drizzle in ¼ cup of water until dough begins to come together (If the dough is too dry to come together, add 1 Tbsp water as needed).
- Remove from bowl and shape into a disc, handling the dough as little as possible.
- Wrap in plastic and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
Galette Filling Ingredients:
1 large zucchini, thinly sliced
8 ounces goat cheese
1 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
⅛ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
Freshly ground black pepper
Extra-virgin olive oil
Galette Filling Directions:
- Slice the zucchini and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon of sea salt. Drain in a strainer for 30 minutes, then drain for another 30 minutes on paper towel.
- In a bowl, mash together goat cheese, chives, lemon zest, lemon juice, rosemary, Parmesan cheese, a pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
Putting It All Together:
- Once filling is ready, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- On a lightly-floured surface, roll the dough out to a 12-14 inch circle.
- Transfer to a baking sheet covered in parchment paper (or an ungreased baking sheet)
- Spread the filling mixture evenly over the crust, leaving a 2 inch border around the edge.
- Evenly arrange the zucchini on top of the filling.
- Fold over the edges of the crust.
- Combine the egg yolk and water, then brush the outer edge of the crust.
- Drizzle olive oil on top of the zucchini.
- Bake between 35-45 minutes until crust is golden brown.
Galette recipe adapted from Naturally Ella https://naturallyella.com/zucchini-squash-and-ricotta-galette/. Filling recipe adapted from Savor.