If your favorite man already loves to get hopped up on pancakes in the morning, he needs to try these:
Man Cakes ingredients:
8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled*
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 Tablespoons white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
10 fluid ounces of your favorite beer (you will taste the beer flavor!)
3 Tablespoons unsalted Casco Bay Creamery Butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
Extra Casco Bay Creamery Butter to grease griddle/pan
*If you want to try candied bacon, you’ll also need 1/3 cup packed brown sugar and follow the directions below the cake recipe.
- Heat your griddle or skillet and grease with butter
- Whisk dry ingredients (flour, white sugar and baking powder) in a large bowl.
- Mix liquid ingredients (beer, melted butter, salt and vanilla extract) in another bowl.
- Then, gently stir the liquid ingredients into the flour mixture to make a smooth batter.
- Add bacon pieces to the batter and stir (see directions for candied bacon below)
- Pour ½ cup batter at a time on to a hot griddle, spacing at least an inch apart. Cook until the Man Cake batter bubbles or the edges are browned, about 2 minutes.
- Flip and cook until golden brown and the center is set, 3 to 5 more minutes.
- Layer on extra strips of bacon if you like. Serve with butter and syrup.
Directions for Candied Bacon: Make ahead of time to save a step in the morning
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Put a wire rack on top of baking sheet and then arrange the bacon strips on wire rack.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle bacon strips with half the brown sugar.
- Return to oven and bake 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and turn bacon over sprinkle with remaining brown sugar and bake 10 to 15 more minutes.
- Remove bacon, let cool, and crumble into small pieces to include in the Man Cakes batter.
- Note: You may want to keep some strips of bacon to layer on top of the Man Cakes.
Adapted from All Recipes